I’ve been very into sweet potatoes lately. I usually boil or cook them in the oven and then serve them mashed with cinnamon and butter. I’m a simple kind of eater. But as a curious foodie, I wanted to try out something new with my favorite root vegetable. This past weekend I made Diced Sweet Potatoes with Onion and Bacon. Simple and quick, but really great flavors!
Paleo doesn’t have to be low carb, but it is low crap food. Sweet potatoes are a great carb, especially if you are athletic and feel you need more carbs. Lately, I’ve been experimenting with my macronutrients. I think its very important to find out what works best on your body. My friend/trainer Josh says our bodies are open loop systems. We can’t predict how many calories we need to eat or exactly what ratio of macronutrients we need day to day; there are many factors that affect it. This is why it’s important to listen to your body and see what food makes YOU feel best.
So what did I serve these with? Since this was a weekend meal, I splurged a little on my budget (I bought steak!!). The steak was on sale and it was my favorite cut, New York Strip. I also cooked some asparagus wrapped in prosciutto (recipe coming soon). Those were reallllly good. I really love going out to eat at nice restaurants, but once you learn how to cook things like this you can have a fancy dinner at home for around $20 per serving. Some nice restaurants can be $40-$60 for a meal like that! These sweet potatoes would be great for a Valentine’s Dinner or any special occasion.
- 2 medium or large sweet potatoes
- ½ large sweet onion, chopped
- 3-4 slices of uncooked bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ Tablespoon butter (optional)
- Cinnamon, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes.
- Spread sweet potato cubes on a cookie sheet. Top with chopped onions and sliced bacon. Mix well.
- Add cinnamon and salt to diced sweet potatoes.
- Cook in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until soft.
- (Optional: Place butter over potatoes at around 15 minutes)