Are you looking for an Italian Paleo meal? This Grain Free Chicken Parmesan is so good, you won’t even know it’s Paleo-friendly.
As some of you know I was the pickiest child ever. I wouldn’t touch meatballs and spaghetti, and I had never even heard of Chicken Parmesan until I was about 16. In high school, a friend of mine started a food delivery service where he sold delicious Italian meals. Chicken Parmesan, Baked Brie, Green Bean Bundles. All SO good. Every time he did deliveries we ordered trays of Chicken Parmesan, and it was the perfect easy dinner. It was prepared ahead, so we heated it up in the oven and dinner was served. This week I thought it was about time to create a Grain Free Chicken Parmesan!
Traditionally Chicken Parmesan is made with breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, but in this recipe I used coconut flour for breading and goat’s milk cheese for the Parmesan. I would suggest using a hard cheese, such as Romano or Parmesan. I typically find my goat’s milk cheese at Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods. If you are looking for coconut flour, here is a brand I like that you can buy online. (affiliate link).
To bread the chicken, you are going to follow a similar procedure as my Paleo Chicken Nuggets. It’s all explained below in the recipe. If you’ve made the nuggets before, you will have no problem with this! Serve this dish with Prosciutto wrapped Asparagus for a side, and maybe end the meal with a Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Bark. Yum!!
- 2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts (3-4 chicken breasts)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 6 oz hard Goat cheese, grated
- 3/4-1 cup marinara sauce
- Italian seasoning blend, for topping
- Place 1/3 cup coconut oil in a frying pan. I used a cast iron skillet. Heat to medium heat.
- Crack 2 eggs into a bowl and whisk with a fork.
- Mix coconut flour, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper into a separate bowl.
- Dip each chicken breast in egg mixture and coat well. Then dip into the dry mixture, coating well.
- Fry each chicken breast on medium heat for 3-4 minutes each side.
- Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet and distribute the cheese evenly on to each breast. Top with a scoop of marinara sauce, and sprinkle Italian seasoning on top.
- Place in the oven on low broil, for 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve hot!
- This meal is great to eat leftover. Prepare it ahead and heat it up for dinner or lunch. Use extra marinara for dipping.
- I used Romano Goat Cheese. If you have no problem with cow's milk, feel free to use regular Parmesan or Marinara.