On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, Paleo Bacon Jam.
For the next 12 days, in celebration of Christmas (my favorite holiday), I am giving away a new cookbook everyday on Instagram. To enter the giveaway go to my Instagram, and 1) Tag up to 20 friends 2) For each friend that is also following @bravoforpaleo , you will receive 1 entry. So the more you tag, the better chance you have to win a cookbook! Winner announced Christmas Eve
This recipe comes from the cookbook, All-American Paleo Table by Caroline Potter.
Picture from All-American Paleo Table
Holy Moly. Is this the best recipe ever? Yes. Is this what I will eat in heaven? I really hope so. My sweet sweet friend Caroline Potter came out with the cookbook, All-American Paleo Table, and it is a MUST have for any kitchen. I can’t get over how many things I want to make from it!
I met Caroline at Paleo f(x) this past year and I just loved her. We instantly bonded over Mexican food, margaritas, and blogging. She’s from California, where I’d live if I wasn’t in love with New Orleans, and now she lives in Hawaii, which is also awesome.
When she came out with the cookbook, I saw Paleo Bacon Jam and I just about died. This summer I went to Seaside, Florida with my friends and they insisted on getting Bacon Jam Grilled Cheese from a food truck. Unfortunately there was no gluten free bread, so one of them just let me try their bacon jam. It was AMAZING. I promised I’d try to make a Paleo Bacon Jam, but it never happened. Then when Caroline sent me her book, I couldn’t wait to make it.
This recipe did not disappoint, if anything it was better than the Bacon Jam from Seaside. Today when I made it, I put it on top of a piece of Gluten Free Bread with Havarti. So gooood. You could also top it on a burger, like her amazing photo at the top!
- ½ lb bacon
- 1 medium-size red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- ⅓ cup strongly brewed coffee
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 lbs ground beef
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 Burger Buns (recipe in All American Paleo Table)
- 6 fried eggs with runny yolks
- ¼ cup Duck Fat Mayonnaise (recipe in All American Paleo Table)
- Fresh arugula, for serving
- 4 oz blue cheese (omit for dairy-free)
- Warm a large skillet to medium heat. Sear the bacon just until both sides are browned, but not fully cooked or crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside.
- Saute the onions in the bacon grease for 5 minutes or until they begin to soften. Add the bacon, dates, coffee, balsamic vinegar and mustard to the pan and give it a stir. Place the lid on the pan and reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting.
- Cook the bacon jam for 1 hour, stirring once or twice. Add the bacon to the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth.
- While the jam is cooking, prepare the burgers by warming your grill to medium-high heat (about 450 to 500°F). Gently form the burgers by shaping into 6 round patties. Season both sides generously with salt and pepper.
- Grill the burgers for about 4 minutes, flip and grill an additional 3 to 4 minutes for medium. Adjust the grilling time based on thickness and your desired serving preference.
- While your burgers are grilling, slice the Burger Buns in half and lightly toast them. Warm a large skillet and prepare your fried eggs.
- To assemble the burgers, spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the buns then place the bottom half of the bun on the plate and layer with a handful of arugula, grilled burger, blue cheese crumples, a spoonful of onion bacon jam and a runny yolk fried egg.