MMMM…. Waffles! These Grain and Gluten Free Waffles are the bomb.
As a little girl, I got SO excited to use waffle makers. It was one of the only things I knew how to make, even though all I did was pour the mix in and wait for the machine to beep. My parents and grandparents always fostered my interest in cooking, so of course one Christmas my parents bought me a waffle maker. On weekends, I’d make a “menu” and try to serve my family breakfast. I may or may not still do this… Especially on holidays! : )
I was suddenly surprised when the texture of these waffles came out exactly like real waffles! Score! The waffles are dense in healthy fats and will surely fill you up. I recommend topping it with the toppings above! The top right waffle has coconut whipped cream with fruit!
Your site says Paleo? Are these Paleo? Not exactly, just because every ingredient is Paleo approved, when it comes together as a treat you should handle it like a treat. These are a great option for those who eat grain-free and miss their beloved waffle breakfast.
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- ¼ cup coconut milk or milk
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla if sweet
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, optional
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- bacon grease or lard or coconut oil for iron
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and milk.
- Add almond flour and salt. Combine until smooth.
- Add melted coconut oil or butter.
- Whisk egg whites until they form moist, stiff peaks.
- Fold about ¼ of egg whites into batter. Fold batter into remaining egg whites in three parts.
- Add maple syrup and vanilla. Mix well.
- Scoop ⅓ C. of batter onto a preheated and greased waffle iron. Do not smooth the top of the batter before closing the top of the iron. Close the lid gently!
- Cook until golden brown.
- Need help? Watch the video in the post above!